My cousin Clay Carmichael, a very talented children's and young adult author, often posts great quotes about writing to her Facebook page. This one stood out for me because I'm such a firm believer in the power of revision:
“The beautiful part of writing is that you don’t have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.” --Robert Cormier
If you're in a hurry, just read these two:
- Figure out what you need to work on with the 5 Big Questions™.
- Erase common problems with your content with these easy revisions.
If you have more time, have a specific issue or want to make greater strides, check these posts on how to improve your writing with revision:
- Up the impact of your details with the Idea-Details Strategy™ and by focusing on the 3 Es™.
- Pump up reports and analyses with the easy What-Why-How Strategy™.
- Paint a clearer picture with the Tell-Show Strategy™.
- Punch up your content with better verbs.
Take one piece of content you write today and try one of these strategies and see for yourself how helpful (and not onerous) revision can be!