Yield stronger content ROI with historical optimization.
This process -- built on findings from Hubspot, TopRank, Orbit Media and other search specialists -- strengthens existing assets by refreshing key aspects that drive organic and support paid search. Our Historical Optimization Package (HOP) upgrades content to deliver more value to readers, create more opportunities for promoting popular topics, and provide more juice to your search efforts. In tight budget situations, this is an effective way to produce fresh content at a lower cost than creating a brand new piece.
When we put articles in the HOPper, we:
- Strengthen writing. Quality and relevance matter to readers and search engines. We use proven revision strategies to make the writing stronger, more engaging and more readable. First, we add context and value with a new section or list, and rework beginnings and endings. Then we tune up the entire piece, deleting unnecessary words and phrases, simplifying complex sentence constructions and strengthening voice through word choice and sentence fluency. Finally, we correct spelling, punctuation, usage, grammar and consistency errors.
- Update words and terms. Search trends and terms evolve, so we catch-up your content by infusing new keywords and related/semantical search terms throughout the content. We use terms you supply or base the update on a quick check of Google Search and Google Trends.
- Enhance lists. Lists are popular with readers and search engines. We update existing listicles by revising the items and focusing on a 50-word introductory paragraph, which supports search engine indexing and evaluation.
- Improve links. People and bots blanch when they encounter broken or outdated links. We fix link errors and add new or updated contextual and related content internal and external links. Keywords plus related and semantical search terms are added to further support organic and voice search.
- Upgrade search data. We create new meta titles, meta descriptions and excerpts using keywords you provide, written to industry standards for optimal character length. We tune up H2 and H3 subheads that include keywords and terms and suggest a shorter URL, which many believe contribute favorably to Google page rank. We propose new alt-text for the images you’re already using and provide it for images we furnish. (New images are an à la carte service. Additional fees apply.)
For example, Staples engaged us to update many of the legacy articles in its Business Hub Technology and Retail Resource Center POS sections
We don't need the keys to your code -- we deliver this information for your consideration first then your team can execute what you want.
Related à la carte services:
- Choosing assets to optimize. Margot has a process for choosing the posts to optimize and building a process to execute the project internally or with outside support. She's guided clients as diverse as The Recording Academy and Philips Healthcare establish criteria, identify assets and design processes.
- Building pillar pages for a specific topic, promotional campaign or target audience. Using existing content that's been updated or is current, we create an overview article that links back to each asset. Philips Lifeline hired us to refresh existing blog content related to new campaigns or themes these assets could be used as contextual or related links on page and sent out in email newsletters. One example: a round-up of tips for family caregivers pegged to Independence Day.
- Including new voices. We do interviews with thought leaders and subject matter networks to diversify sources and feature current voices in your content. Our source files intentionally include Black, Indigenous and people of color as well as other underrepresented groups.
- Providing new images. Our creative director can hand-pick relevant and representative images and an editorial team member creates descriptive alt-text for each one.