A few interesting data points from the Vocus State of Public Relations 2014 report, released earlier this summer:
- 78 percent of respondents (325 mid- and senior-level marketing and PR professionals) use social to share content
- 58 percent use social to follow trends
- 50 percent use social to share media coverage
- 44 percent use social tools to cultivate relationships
- 29 percent pitch reporters directly via social
You may take this to mean you need to jump right on another channel, but I don't read these tea leaves the same way. Yes, you need to be on social media. But you don't need to be on every channel. The quick way to choose is to go where the most of your people are and work that channel hard. For a more comprehensive way to choose your channel:
And here are some specific tips on social media for nonprofits and social media for residential real estate professionals.